New Volkswagen up! GTI international media drive – January 2018
Ahead of your trip to Monaco to experience the new Volkswagen up! GTI please see, below, some informal ‘bullet-point’ information about the car.
Vehicles set to be available in France:
New Volkswagen up! GTI three-door hatch
Ten 115 PS (113 bhp) 1.0 TSI up! GTI six-speed manual three-door in red
Five 115 PS (113 bhp) 1.0 TSI up! GTI six-speed manual three-door in pure white
· The first dynamic drive of the new three- or five-door up! GTI
· The most potent up! yet created, with a turbocharged 1.0 TSI three cylinder petrol engine generating up to 115 PS and 200 Nm of torque, mated to a six-speed manual transmission
· The event in Monaco features LHD pre-production models, equipped to European specification
· Opportunity to test new up! GTI on a mix of urban and semi-rural roads
· The up! GTI is fitted with a petrol particulate filter and fulfils the new Euro 6 AG emissions standard. It boasts classic GTI insignia including double side stripes like the original Golf GTI, red trim strips, GTI alloy wheels and tartan ‘clark’ fabric (‘Jacara’ in UK) and is offered in four paint finishes: ‘pure white’, ‘red’, ‘dark silver metallic’ and ‘black pearl’
The newest, and smallest, member of the growing Volkswagen GTI family arrives to bring the chance for drivers young, and perhaps not-so-young, to create, or recreate, great driving memories.
42 years after the first Golf GTI made its debut, the new up! GTI is here. The concept and power output of the 115 PS up! GTI are broadly in line with the Golf GTI Mk1 unveiled in 1976 (110 PS). Carefully judged dynamics and a good dose of power see the new 1,070 kg up! GTI pay a modern day tribute to Volkswagen’s original hot hatch icon.
Building on the already impressive dynamics of the existing up! the new GTI adds a 115 PS 1.0 TSI three cylinder turbocharged petrol engine, greater downforce on the rear axle, sports running gear lowered by around 15 mm versus the standard car, and typical GTI insignia inside and out.
The 999cc three cylinder 12v petrol engine offers up its 115 PS power peak at 5,000 rpm – up to 5,500 rpm – while the punchy peak torque figure of 200 Nm arrives between 2,000 rpm and 3,500 rpm.
Offered in three- or five-door form, and with a six-speed manual gearbox, the up! GTI promises engaging dynamic performance blended with the typically practical attributes of Volkswagen’s popular four-seat A00 city car.
The 8.8 second 0-62 mph time and top speed of 122 mph are firmly in keeping with its iconic hot hatch predecessor, while cutting edge engine and emissions technology ensure the up! GTI accords with 21st Century legislation.
Indeed the up! GTI is one of the first Volkswagen cars to launch with a close-coupled petrol particulate filter. Its use reduces particulate emissions by up to 95 per cent.
The fuel consumption and emission levels of the up! GTI have been determined based on the new WLTP (Worldwide Harmonised Light-Duty Vehicles Test Procedure). The RDE (Real Driving Emissions) tests are also new. Over the combined cycle the WLTP as applied to the up! produces consumption figures of 5.7 to 5.6 l/100 km (49.6 mpg to 50.4 mpg) while CO2 emissions stand at 129 – 127 g/km.
· New up! GTI offers engaging performance: 115 PS; 200 Nm; 122 mph; and 8.8 seconds (0-62 mph)
· Its dimensions, kerb weight and performance align, broadly, to those of the original Golf GTI, launched in 1976 to worldwide acclaim
· Most potent up! yet built: turbocharged three cylinder 12-valve 1.0 TSI (999 cc) generates 115 PS at 5,000 rpm, with peak torque (200 Nm) available from just 2,000 rpm
· The front-wheel drive up! transmits its urge to the road via a six-speed manual gearbox
· The three- or five-door bodystyles both boast famous GTI insignia including double side stripes; red trim strips; ‘Oswald’ GTI alloy wheels (UK-specific name) and tartan ‘Jacara’ fabric (UK-specific name)
· Inside, the four-seat up! GTI features, aside from the classic ‘Jacara’ tartan seat fabric, GTI door sill panel trims, a special GTI gear knob and a multifunction steering wheel specific to the GTI with red stitching and the GTI logo in the vertical spoke
· The up! GTI is launching with a significantly enhanced set of standard features. In addition to the GTI insignia inside and out the car gains a Composition Colour radio system; six loudspeakers; a USB interface; air conditioning; heated seats; electrically adjustable and heated wing mirrors; and front fog lights with static cornering lights
UK market information:
· up! is the fifth best-selling car in the Volkswagen range in the UK, with sales of 13,555 in 2017 (Golf was the best-seller with sales of 77,231 in the same period)
· Total Volkswagen sales in the UK last year, including passenger-carrying CV models, were 208,462. Thus, roughly 6.5% of new Volkswagens sold in the UK in 2017 were badged up!
· The best-selling model in the current up! range is the Move up! 1.0 60 PS five-speed manual
· The ‘A00 hatch’ segment, in which up! sits, accounted for around seven per cent of the UK’s new car market in 2017
· The three- or five-door up! GTI will be offered in one generous specification in the UK including Composition Colour infotainment system with 5.0-inch colour screen; Bluetooth telephone and audio connection for compatible devices; USB connectivity; 4 x 20 watt output via six speakers and DAB
· The bodystyle sales split for up! GTI is expected to be broadly in line with the full up! range, thereby roughly 40% three-door/60% five-door
· The fleet/retail split is expected to be overwhelmingly retail
· The up! GTI three-door will be priced from £13,750 RRP OTR, with the five-door version costing £14,150 RRP OTR (embargoed to 09.00h GMT on Thursday 18 January, 2018)
· Full UK option pricing and standard spec details will be published in due course
· Order books open in the UK on Tuesday 6 February 2018, and the first customer cars will be delivered via Volkswagen UK Retailers in the same month